Pose: Standing Twist with a Chair or a Tall Table
Sanskrit Name: Utthita Marichyasana
How do I prepare for the pose?
One sandbag. One block. One chair or tall table.
Inhale and exhale rhythmically in the pose and center yourself into the present moment.
Align with your Intention
Decide how you want to feel and teach your body to feel the positive emotion while you are in the pose. Ask yourself these questions. What do you need to let go of (exhale)? What do you want to bring into all aspects of your life (inhale)?
Energize = Practice = Repetition = Transformation = Mastery
Read through the description first and do your best to memorize the directions, but try not to get caught up in doing the pose perfectly. Once you get a sense of the directions in the pose, the intention is to be able to feel the positive emotions you want to feel while breathing softly and being present in the pose. Then, and only if it’s comfortable for you, close your eyes, disconnect from the world and completely feel the positive emotions you want to feel.
Heal = Practice = Repetition = Transformation = Mastery
Repeat 3 times on each side. Remember that you are repeating the pose to condition your body, to feeling a new emotion, so that you rewire and refire (transform) your old mind to a new mind.
Caution If your back is hurting at any point, mindfully exit the pose the opposite way you entered.
How do I practice the pose?
- Prop-assistance. Place the chair or access a table. If using a chair, place a block on the chair.
- Stand in Mountain either facing the chair or facing the table
- Prop-assistance. Place one sandbag under your right heel to create a lift for the right hip.
- Place your left foot on the block located on the chair or on tall table. Make sure that your left knee is higher than your left hip.
- Gently descend your left hip down towards the earth.
- Press both heels of your feet into the mat.
- Gently squeeze your inner thighs towards each other.
- Inhale and take both arms over your head.
- Exhale and gently twist to the left, placing your right hand over your right outer knee.
- Place your left hand on your hip, point your left elbow back and create external rotation in your left upper arm.
- Gently engage your rhomboids (inner shoulder blade muscles) by gently resisting and squeezing your shoulder blades to keep the shoulder blades positioned on the back.
- Gently engage your trapezius (upper neck and back muscles) to draw your shoulder blades down your back.
- Stabilize your lower core and by staying strong and connected through your feet, shins and legs.
- Breathe mindfully for a deeper connection.
- On each exhalation, follow the release, and twist your torso a bit more into the pose.
Once you are in the pose. Go within. Breathe effortlessly and mindfully.
- Exhale and let go of what no longer serves you; pain, tension, tightness, anxiety, fear, sadness, lack, scarcity, insecurity, separation, etc.
- Infuse Yourself Now: Inhale and feel what you want to bring into your future; suppleness, flexibility, strength, freedom, joy, happiness, peace, vital energy, lovingkindness, inclusiveness, connection, unity, understanding, abundance, love, wealth, good health, gratitude, etc.
- Stay in the pose long enough to feel the elevated positive emotions you want to bring into your future.
How do I exit the pose?
- First Inhale. Exhale and exit the pose the opposite way you entered.
- Return to Mountain and feel the effects within.
- Repeat on the second side with opposite directions.